You can’t celebrate Bonfire Night without Gunpowder chicken!
Exploding with authentic flavours and a spicy kick, marinate your chicken strips in dark soy sauce, Szechuan peppercorns, roasted peanuts and red chillies…and thank us later!
It’s a family favourite and if you’re having a party a real crowd pleaser.
500g boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp Wing Yip Dark Soy Sauce
2 tbsp sunflower/vegetable oil
8-9 dried whole red chillies
1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns, lightly crushed
200g roasted peanuts
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 ltr chicken stock
4 tbsp Wing Yip Dark Soy Sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
1 tsp sugar or honey
1 tbsp cornflour
1. Slice the chicken into strips and marinate in 1 tbsp dark soy sauce for 10 minutes.
2. For the sauce, bring the chicken stock to the boil and reduce by three-quarters so you’re left with 250ml. Combine the reduced chicken stock with all remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the cornflour has dissolved.
3. Heat the sunflower oil over a medium heat in a wok and cook the chicken in batches so that you don’t overcrowd the wok. Stir-fry each batch for 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken is sealed on all sides and is starting to brown. Remove from the oil and set aside.
4. Add the dried red chillies to the wok and quickly stir-fry for 5 seconds taking care not to burn them. Return the chicken to the wok adding the Szechuan peppercorns and peanuts. Constantly stir-fry for another minute.
5. Pour the sauce into the wok making sure to coat all of the ingredients. Keep stir-frying over a medium heat until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through. This should take another 4-5 minutes.
6. Once cooked and the sauce has thickened serve immediately with steamed rice or noodles and garnish with the spring onions.