Vegan (please check ingredients on products used)
Prep time: 30 minutes. Cook time: 25 minutes, plus cooling
- 300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped or broken up
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 2 cans (415g) Del Monte® Pear Halves in Juice
- 200g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and line a baking tin 20 x 25cm with baking parchment.
- Put the broken chocolate, oil, vanilla, and sugar in a medium-large saucepan. Put over a low heat and melt together, stirring often, until smooth. It’s important not to let the chocolate get too hot – keep the temperature low. Remove from the heat as soon as everything is melted together and leave to cool slightly.
- Drain the cans of pears (you won’t need the juice). Put the pears in a bowl and use a stick blender to blitz them to a smooth puree. You can also do this in a jug blender.
- Stir the pear puree into the pan of chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, almonds and salt and stir into the chocolate pear mix until thoroughly combined. Tip into the prepared tin, spread out and bake for 25 minutes until firm. Leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into 20 squares.
Top tip: For a sophisticated twist, add 50ml of very strong black coffee (e.g espresso) to the saucepan to enhance the rich flavour of the brownies.
Recipe from Del Monte®